Friday, December 16, 2005

Falling into place

I've been out this morning - visiting one of our customers, in the hope of finally securing electronic trading between our two companies after some 5 years of trying. The meeting went well, and I'm remarkably hopeful that all will come together in the next few weeks.

When I return, bearing mince pies for the team (well, it is Christmas - more or less), I have several dozen emails, as usual. One of them is in my Personal mailbox, and naturally, this is the one I look at first.

It's from Zoë, and it contains 'good news and bad news' - HRSDC have approved our application, but only for one year.

We're going. We really are going.

I should feel more elated, I think, but the 'one year' stipulation is a little worrying - we'll have to apply for permanent residence as soon as we arrive, really, and there is always the risk (although HRSDC make encouraging noises about applying for an extension) that we might be stateless after 12 months. Also, there are a number of unanswered questions about when this period starts, and how quickly we'll be able to get work permits (and also the great unknown about when we will be able to sell the house), but realistically, I should be getting excited.

TIme enough for that, I think. For now, I'm keeping it quiet, and I'll be writing a resignation letter over the weekend. Then it will feel real.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home