Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Counting Down

It's time to concentrate a few minds, I think. With one thing and another, my time at my current employer is ebbing rapidly, and as of today, I have 29 working days left. So I've set up a countdown in my calendar to try to keep me focused on what needs to be done, and to try to keep everyone else reminded of the fact that I won't be around forever.

Talking of which, since I last posted, we have:

  • Booked our flights: April 3rd from Heathrow with BA turned out to be the best deal. Of course the airline industry being what it is, it is better value for us to book return flights, even though we have no intention of coming back.

  • Made various arrangements for the final week - arranged for removals; organised me to go to Scotland with various bits of computer equipment; arranged to sell my car while I'm there; booked a flight back (using my soon to be redundant AirMiles (long story)); booked a hire car - an estate - for the final few days; booked a hotel for the last night, and many other even less exciting things

  • Opened an offshore bank account (I say again - eek!)

  • Cashed in various policies, making us feel ridiculously wealthy

  • Discovered another snag with those there cats - apparently Air Canada will not fly them to PG from Vancouver, because they do not have heated cargo areas on their internal flights. Another airline, West Jet, can fly them, but it's proving something of a struggle to get this organised. We still love them, though

  • Said (more or less) goodbye to my family, who were all here for the weekend - although I'll be up in Scotland again before we go, the next time my parents and sister see the boys, they'll be Canadian residents. Talking of which:

  • Booked flights for my family to come and visit in July. In spite of us not yet having anywhere to live. It'll work.


So, we've not been idle. It's a lot of work, this. But you know what - it's fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home