Saturday, February 25, 2006

One Saturday in February

I'm sitting at the kitchen table, working through all manner of irritations like Powergen (our electricity meter is playing up, but getting them to understand that or fix it is ridiculously difficult, and I don't want to saddle the new owners with a nightmare meter), and I'm trying to make lists.

List 1 is all the direct debits we need to cancel or otherwise tie up before we go. We've been carefully reducing these since the turn of the year, and only the essential ones are left now - the mortgage and so on. The list is looking manageable, although it's going to take quite a few weekday phonecalls to resolve everything. In one way, it's just like moving house normally is, but of course we're not telling people our new UK address - which at least saves me from having to listen to innumerable sales pitches.

List 2 is the 'Dear Friends' list (I'm not getting very far with this, because the boys keep interrupting me to talk about Star Wars). 'Dear Friends' is my embryonic project - the idea is that I will write a weekly letter about our experiences and send it to our friends back home, with the possibility, if I can get them interested, of letting the PG local paper, the 'Citizen' have a look at it as well. If they like it, perhaps I will be sharing my thoughts with their readership as well in a kind of 'see oursel's as ithers see us' kind of way. Trouble is, I can't get emails through to them at all, and talking to someone requires more co-ordination of times and phone calls than I seem to be able to manage at present. Given that I'm in the flow now, perhaps I'll try in a few minutes - I'll let you know.

Meantime, if you'd like to sign up for it, leave me a comment, and I'll add you to the list.

(There. That'll make me do it!)

Update corner:

The house move seems to be going ahead - we've had our offer accepted, and we're just waiting for the paperwork to come through. It still seems slightly sureal, doing this online, but it is working. If timing all comes together, we'll be able to move in after only 2 weeks in Canada, which is beyond our wildest dreams.

The cats continue to be an issue, however. Airfreight company no 1 looked impressive, but have been less than helpful as soon as our move went beyond 'Heathrow to Vancouver Airport' status. Several others have been contacted, and we are hopeful.

More as we go - exciting, this, isn;t it?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home