Thursday, March 23, 2006

Chain Gang

Last night, I had my farewell meal, and tomorrow I have my faarewell presentation. After more than 16 years, it's fair to say that my colleagues are doing me proud.

But I struggled to concentrate on things last night because of the dreaded chain. 8 days before we move out, we are still far from certain of selling our house. If you don't live in England, this may puzzle you. If you do, this will be all too familiar to you. What we seem to have pieced together in the last few days is that somewhere down at the bottom of our chain, there is a problem. The kind of problem which is avoidable, manageable and resolveable, but which has been neither avoided, managed or resolved. The result is that we wait, our buyers wait, their buyers wait, and we all get little or no sleep, which in the case of the person in the chain who is heavily pregnant must be particularly galling.

At the moment, my rational head say that everything will be OK; it's just a hitch (or a ruse by someone to pay less for something which has already been agreed), but the majority of me, which is far from rational at this stressful time, is actively investigating bridging finance - we are committed to our Canadian house, and if we don't get the funds through from this one, we're scuppered.

This English system is truly awful for everyone involved, and the amount of yelling one has to do at solicitors and estate agents indicates why they are two of the most loathed professions in the country. Please take me away from all this.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home